Specialized Single-Inverter Control Functions with FPU and Enriched Low-Pin-Count Package Lineup
Renesas Electronics Corporation has launched the RX13T Group of 32-bit microcontrollers (MCUs) to enable highly efficient inverter control of compact motors in consumer and industrial applications. It’s targetted towards factory equipment where energy efficiency is a priority and longer operating periods are demanded.
The new RX13T Group offers low bill-of-materials (BOM) cost and high efficiency by incorporating functions optimized for single-motor inverter control, reducing the number of required peripheral components, and including low-pin-count packages in its lineup.
On-chip Brushless DC Motor Control
The RX13T MCUs are the first MCUs operating at 32 MHz to incorporate a floating-point unit (FPU). It has many functionalities such as inverter control timer (MTU3), 12-bit A/D converter, programmable gain amplifier (PGA), and data flash memory, making it possible to implement brushless DC motor control on a single chip.
“The 32-bit RX Family has a rich lineup of MCUs dedicated for motor control application since its market introduction ten years ago,” said Sakae Ito, Vice President of the IoT Platform Business Division at Renesas. “The RX13T demonstrates Renesas’ continuous pursuit to help our customers realize energy and cost efficiency in every type of motor control solutions across the globe. As we celebrate the 10th anniversary of RX, we are committed to delivering constant product innovation to serve our customers and partners who make great solutions based on the RX Family of MCUs.”
Key features of the RX13T Group
- RXv1 CPU core with operating frequency of 32 MHz and performance of 98.56 CoreMark
- On-chip FPU eliminates the need for overflow processing when performing fixed-point arithmetic operations and contributes to more readable software code
- Support for a wide range of power supply voltages from 2.7V to 5.5V. Offering 5V support provides a high level of noise tolerance
- Incorporates MTU3 timer module for inverter control. The timer counter clock operates on a high-speed clock frequency equal to the CPU’s operating frequency, making it easy to generate complementary PWM output with dead time that is required for inverter control
- Channel-dedicated sample and hold function (for three channels) enables simultaneous sampling of three-phase current values, eliminating the need for error correction and lightening the software load
- 128 kilobytes (KB) or 64 KB of on-chip code flash memory and 12 KB of on-chip SRAM, There is also 4 KB of on-chip data flash memory, eliminating the need for external EEPROM.
- On-chip peripheral functions such as three-channel PGA, three-channel comparator, and high-speed on-chip oscillator (HOCO, accuracy of ±1.0%) reduce the need for peripheral components
- Models are available with support for an operating temperature range of -40°C to 85°C or -40°C to 105°C. This meets the increasing need in both the industrial and consumer fields for products capable of operating in high-temperature environments
Enhanced Development Environment
Renesas offers an RX13T CPU card that supports the 24 V Motor Control Evaluation Kit (with motor). It includes emulator functionality, eliminating the need for an on-chip debugging emulator and allows users to begin the evaluation by simply connecting the CPU card to a PC with a USB cable. Motor control sample code for sensor-less vector control is available and supports the Renesas Motor Workbench 2.0 motor control development support tool. The developers can jump-start the evaluation of motor control applications with this toolbox.
The RX13T Group is compatible with existing products such as the RX23T and RX24T in aspects such as timers and pin configurations make it easy for customers to reuse existing hardware and software design assets.
The RX13T is available in a compact 32-pin LQFP package and a 48-pin LFQFP package. Renesas is planning to offer even smaller 32-pin 5 mm square and 48-pin 7 mm square QFN package versions in future.
The RX13T has many variants & the pricing depends on package, memory capacity and the number of pins. For example, the 32-pin QFP package with 64 KB of ROM is priced at $0.99 USD (excluding tax) per unit in 10,000-unit quantities (pricing and availability are subject to change without notice).