After the successful launch of the Dimensity 1000 5G chipsets, the 800 series takes its features further to provide an enhanced service for an upcoming surge in 5G technology
The Dimensity 5G chipsets are system-on-chips (SoCs) that have an integrated 5G modem. It offers an unmatched combination of connectivity, multimedia, AI and imaging – all packed into a single 7nm chip. All this allows the Dimensity 5G chipsets to perform at its best while delivering significant power savings.
In contrast to single carrier solutions (1CC), the Dimensity 5G chipsets support two carrier aggregation (2CC CA) that are designed for various sub-6GHz networks and thus enables a 30 per cent rise in speed, coverage, average throughput and seamless 5G handover.
The 5G chipset includes multi-mode functionalities for 2G to 5G and also supports Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) and Voice over New Radio (VoNR) for providing seamless connectivity across both data and voice on 5G networks.
“MediaTek already launched its flagship 5G smartphone solution, the Dimensity 1000, and with the 800 series 5G chipset family, we are bringing 5G to the mid-tier and mass market,” said TL Lee, head of MediaTek’s wireless business unit. “Everyone should have access to great technology. The Dimensity 800 Series will power the New Premium segment for 5G, bringing consumers flagship smartphone features and performance at mid-range price points.”
- Big Performance Cores: The Dimensity 800 Series pairs four big Arm Cortex-A76 cores operating up to 2GHz, with four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2GHz. This helps in quick launching of heavy gaming applications and significantly improves multi-threaded performance.
- Flagship-grade GPU: Four cores of Dimensity 1000-class GPU IP, combined with MediaTek gaming technology – HyperEngine – provides a unique gaming experience.
- MediaTek’s APU 3.0: The 800 series provides up to 2.4 TOPs performance, which makes its APU hardware design more efficient and powerful for FP16 and delivers precise AI-camera results.
- Enhanced Imaging: The image signal processor (ISP) supports up to 64MP camera sensors for an efficient smartphone hardware design. The chipset family also includes AI-autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (AI HDR) and dedicated facial detection hardware and multi-frame 4K video HDR capability (Video HDR).
- Ultra-Smooth Displays: The 800 series can support ultra-smooth Full HD+ displays up to 90Hz refresh rate.
The first devices featuring Dimensity 800 Series SoCs are expected to be launched in the first half of 2020 and cover entire Asia, North America and Europe.