Bluetooth beacons are hardware transmitters – a class of Bluetooth low energy (BLE) devices that broadcast their identifier to nearby portable electronic devices. The technology enables smartphones, tablets and other devices to perform actions when in close proximity to a beacon.
Bluetooth beacons use Bluetooth low energy proximity sensing to transmit a universally unique identifier picked up by a compatible app or operating system. The identifier and several bytes sent with it can be used to determine the device’s physical location, track customers, or trigger a location-based action on the device such as a check-in on social media or push notification.
The reference design is based on a Design Board KW30-BCNRD which is produced by NXP Semiconductors. The design focuses on providing a small and efficient 2.4Ghz RF-based BLE beacon which can work on data sensing and collection related applications.
The design provides many features to design a compact and optimum device such as –
- The dimensions for the design is 34.29 mm x 18.19 mm.
- The design features a print reverse RF antenna for a smaller footprint and low-cost design.
- The design has an inbuilt buck converter which automatically activates as an overvolt protection.
- The working Clock frequency is 32 Mhz to provide faster processing speeds.
- The design has an onboard CR2032 battery cell holder for a standard 3.7V CR2032 cell.
- The device supports SWD debugging modes for interfacing and configuration.
- The operating temperature ranges from -40 degree Celcius to +85 degree Celcius and the nominal temperature is 25 degrees Celcius.
- The sensitivity at the receiver side is measured to be -91 dBm.
- The power output at the transmitting end is measured to be +5 dBm.
The areas of application for these Smart Beacons include medical services, wireless charging techniques, education, home automation etc.
The reference design contains all the documents including design files, schematics and BOM which can be downloaded here.
Note: You need to have a Valid NXP account to download all the reference files.