Fast charging is a must-have feature in today’s phones. It keeps our batteries topped up through busy days. Fast charging increases the current sent to the battery to fill up its capacity quicker. The basic USB specification only sends 0.5 amps (A) of current using 5 volts (V) for just 2.5 watts (W). Fast charging technologies boost these figures.
With the increase of Fast Charging methods, Smart chargers have a bigger need to actually adopt the characteristics according to the battery parameters connected to the charger.
The reference design deals with the design of a Fast Charger based On MediaTek Pump Express™ Protocol. The Protocol is based on providing a fast charging technology without compromising the life span of batteries.
Some of the design factors for the development of a fast charger is –
- The total output power and output ports of the adapter.
- The total output Voltage and Current for the adapter.
- Short circuit protection Features like thermal cutoff, input short and output short protection and humidity sensors for the adapter.
Some of the design features provided in the reference design are –
- The input Voltage ranges from 90Volts -230 Volts with a frequency range 50-60Hz.
- The output Power for the generated circuit is 5 Watt.
- The output operating voltage of 5v and a continuous current of 1 ampere.
- On idle conditions, the power consumption is less than 30 milliwatt.
- The board is equipped with a Smart charge module which provides over voltage and over current protection in the circuit.
- The efficiency of the designed circuit is 66%.
All the documents related to design has been provided by Dialog Semiconductors.