Maxim Introduces Industry’s first accurate and synchronized integrated photoplethysmogram (PPG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) measurements for health monitoring
The new MAX86150 from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) is a first-of-a kind biosensor module, comprised of internal LEDs, photodetectors and an ECG analog front-end (AFE) to provide highly accurate, FDA-certifiable PPG and ECG performance in compact, power-saving designs, including mobile phones, laptops, tablets and smart speakers.
Delivering synchronized PPG and ECG measurements has been challenging because designers have had to utilize two separate biosensors that together consume more board space and power than a mobile device can typically afford. In addition, achieving high accuracy in the measurements has also been challenging, particularly in cases where sensor sensitivity might be impacted by low perfusion levels or dry skin. The MAX86150 overcomes these challenges, sampling both PPG and ECG simultaneously to provide the highest sensitivity of pulse transit time. Communication to and from the module is entirely through a standard I2C-compatible interface.The module can be shut down through software with near zero standby current, allowing the power rails to remain powered at all times. The MAX86150 is available in a 3.3mm x 6.6mm x 1.3mm, 22-pin optical module.
- High CMRR at 136dB
- 100mA-capable, high-dynamic-range LED driver enables higher sensitivity on an array of skin types. A low-impedance contact for the ECG sensor enables more accurate measurements, even in cases of dry skin.
- Minimizes battery drain with ultra-low shutdown current of 0.7μA.
- Extended battery life.
- Integrates an ECG sensor with an optical PPG sensor saves space and provides much more functionality.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) Optimized for Dry Electrode Operation.
- Reflective Heart Rate Monitor and Medical-Grade Pulse Oximeter.
- -40°C to +85°C Operating Temperature Range.
Now available from authorized distributors.