After Draupner Graphics’ acquisition, ST has now made TouchGFX GUI software available free, integrated in STM32Cube ecosystem to unlock the potential of IoT devices.
Global semiconductor leader, STMicroelectronics, has introduced a free innovative software solution in its product, to attract developers of IoT products and smart devices. The new high-quality user-interface design software is an addition to the STM32 Microcontrollers development ecosystem. This software allows developers to create rich, smooth, and colorful graphical interfaces to deliver a great user experience.
TouchGFX – High-Quality User-Interface Design Software
- TouchGFX software can be immediately used with STM32 microcontrollers
- Includes a C++ framework that enables the user-interface code to occupy less space – 10KB SRAM, 20KB Flash memory.
- It leverages Chrom-ART Accelerator already present in STM32 MCUs with advanced graphics capabilities
- Contains a rendering algorithm that reduces the number of pixels to be updated, enabling better graphics and smoother animations on a low memory and power budget
- Supports user interfaces with color depth of 1, 2, 4, 16, or 24 bits per pixel (bpp)
- Can run with or without a real-time operating system (RTOS).
- Software comes with a designer tool whcih lets users quickly develop graphical interfaces by simple drag-and-drop operations and features automatic code generation as well as font, text, and image conversion.
STM32 belongs to the Arm Cortex MCU family with over 800 device variants and a powerful ecosystem containing tools, middleware, software libraries, sample code and evaluation boards, and all these together help in simplifying product development and increasing time to market.
Therefore, after acquiring Draupner Graphics, ST is making TouchGFX graphical user-interface development suite available free of charge for production and redistribution with STM32 MCUs. This software was originally created by Draupner Graphics.
“Many customers have already successfully used TouchGFX to bring smartphone-like experiences to new products running on STM32 microcontrollers,” said Daniel Colonna, Marketing Director, Microcontrollers Division, STMicroelectronics. “By incorporating the latest version in our STM32Cube ecosystem, with no license or royalty fees, and supported by our 10-year longevity commitment, we are making this powerful and innovative solution easily accessible on a global basis.”
Now fully integrated with the STM32Cube package, TouchGFX is interoperable with the STM32CubeMX configuration tool and initialization-code generator, creating a unified project environment for seamless development of the GUI and the main application. To help graphics-design projects run smoothly, ST has added new features to STM32CubeMX including an enhanced MCU Finder that helps short-list suitable microcontrollers, a graphics calculator for assessing performance, and a simulator that shows how the graphics will run on the target hardware.
TouchGFX version 4.10 is available now, free of charge, by downloading STM32Cube firmware.