New Connected-Car automotive MCU from STMicroelectronics enables secure remote updates and high-speed in-vehicle networking
STMicroelectronics is making connected cars safer, more flexible, and future-proof with its latest high-performance, multi-core, multi-interface automotive microcontroller.
As critical vehicle powertrain, body, chassis, and infotainment features increasingly become defined by software, securely delivering updates such as fixes and option packs over the air (OTA) enhances cost efficiency and customer convenience.
ST claims that state-of-the-art security and generous on-chip code storage make its latest Chorus automotive microcontroller among the industry’s first gateway/domain-controller chips capable of handling major OTA updates securely.
The new SPC58 H MCU has three high-performance processor cores with more than 1.2 Mbyte RAM and on-chip peripherals. This MCU is an addition to the Chorus series of ST’s automotive MCU. The new MCU is capable of running multiple applications concurrently which helps in developing flexible and cost-effective vehicle-electronics architectures.
The new Chorus chip contains a Hardware Security Module (HSM) capable of asymmetric cryptography, to protect connected-car functionalities and allow OTA updates by implementing industry-leading attack prevention, detection, and containment techniques.
Key features of Chorus microcontroller SPC58NH92x
- 10Mbyte on-chip Flash
- Features a triple-core architecture clocking at 200Mhz equipped with more than 1.2Mbyte RAM
- Deliver up to 1763 CoreMark containing ST’s proven Power
- Architecture z4 core, which gives developers the flexibility to host multiple applications on one microcontroller, or to run multiple tasks concurrently, for optimum performance
- Offers ASIL-D safety capabilities
- Two independent Ethernet ports provide high-speed connectivity between multiple Chorus chips throughout the vehicle and enable responsive in-vehicle diagnostics
- SPC58 Chorus H line is software friendly and offers the SPC5 Studio development environment as well as production ready AUTOSAR MCAL drivers, Security Firmware and Safety Libraries.
- Have configurable smart low-power modes to enable critical functions in the device in standby mode
- Efficient and economical for the most energy-conscious applications including hybrid and electric vehicles.
Samples has already been distributed among the customers of SPC58 Chorus H Line microcontrollers.
Pricing and Availability
The SPC58NH92x can be ordered in various configurations, at prices starting from $17.00. Samples are available now to lead customers, with production expected to begin in mid-2020.
“The way carmakers create, configure, deploy, and maintain new vehicles is changing, as software-defined functionality makes advanced features, flexibility, and convenience ever more widely accessible,” said Luca Rodeschini, Automotive and Discrete Product Group Strategy and Microcontroller Business Unit Director, STMicroelectronics. “Our latest and highest-performing Chorus microcontroller, being OTA-ready and with dual Ethernet ports up to Gigabit speeds, creates a state-of-the-art platform for seamless, safe, and secure in-car connectivity and control.”
Click here for more information about the product.