ST’s MCUs bring ultra-low power technologies and high performance to budget-conscious consumer, industrial, and medical applications
STMicroelectronics has introduced two new microcontrollers (MCUs) STM32L412 and STM32L422. These new MCUs can be used for industrial and medical applications.
The STM32L412 and STM32L422 MCUs sets best-in-class EEMBC benchmarks for efficiency and performance, as they have 64Kbyte or 128Kbyte Flash density along with FlexPowerControl (FPC), and the 80MHz Arm Cortex-M4 core. 273 CoreMark provides for speedy execution in devices like smart sensors or consumer wearables, while 167 ULPMark-PP (Peripheral Profile) and 447 ULPMark-CP (Core Profile) demonstrate category-leading energy management
Analog peripherals including two ADCs to perform simultaneous acquisition and a comparator integrate more of the signal chain on-chip, for sensing or heart-rate monitoring. Also have extra package options including 5mm x 5mm LQFP32 or 2.58mm x 3.07mm WLCSP36 which saves component count and board space.
- Offers a choice of temperature grades, from -40°C to 85°C or 125°C, withstand tough conditions in industrial or medical applications.
- Flash error correction (ECC) and parity-checking hardware for on-chip SRAM enhance system safety.
- A Quad-SPI interface allows high-performance off-chip memory extension and there are rich peripherals for control and connectivity
- Integrated ADCs, anti-tamper inputs on battery
- Backup-power domains a true random-number generator (TRNG)
- Support for AES-256 encryption in the crypto-enhanced STM32L422 ensure high accuracy and strong protection.
- Ensures great performance in smart meters, drawing as little as 28µA/MHz.
“The new MCUs are capable of reducing energy consumption, physical space, cost of material and can increase core performance,” – sated by STMicroelectronics, also stated “Developers can turn the winning benchmark figures into tangible product advantages, leveraging features such as the multiple reduced-power modes to maximize battery life.”
Leveraging dedicated extensions to the STM32 ecosystem including the STM32CubeL4 software package and STM32CubeMX initialization-code generator and power-consumption calculator, developers can start working with the new devices immediately.
Two new Nucleo boards also join the ecosystem, including the NUCLEO-L412RB-P containing a 64-pin STM32L412 with step-down converter, and the NUCLEO-L412KB with a 32-pin STM32L412.
The new devices come with ST’s 10-year product-availability assurance.
Price and Availablity
Production of STM32L412 and STM32L422 MCUs has been started, with up to 128Kbyte Flash and 32-pin to 64-pin packages.
STM32L412K8U6 with 64KByte Flash in QFN-32 has price $1.51 for orders of 10,000 pieces per year.
Click here to know more information about the product.