Littelfuse’s releases a new solution to protect sensitive PHY chips from damage due to ESDs and lightning-induced surge events
Littelfuse introduced new TVS Diode Arrays (SPA Diodes) especially designed to protect two lines of 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet ports from damage due to sustained overcurrent and overvoltage.
The SP4031 Series Hybrid Protection Module has through-package routing which allows the circuitry to protect an Ethernet PHY chip from damage due to electrostatic discharge (ESD) and lightning-induced surge, the company said.
In case of prolonged overvoltage event such as a power fault, this component will offer high impedance. The high impedance state will reset once the power fault event has ended. During a fast transient event, the component will clamp, thus protecting any downstream chipset from surge or ESD damage.
Features of SP4031 Series:
- This SP4031 hybrid component provides a tested and proved protection solution for high-speed interfaces, such as10/100/1000 BaseT applications
- Low parasitic capacitance
- Low breakdown voltage(>3.5V)
- Low capacitance of 2.5pF(@VR=0V)
- Lightning, 35A (8/20 asdefined in IEC 61000-4-52nd edition)
- EFT, IEC 61000-4-4, 40A(5/50ns)
- ESD, IEC 61000-4-2,±30kV contact, ±30kV air
- Moisture Sensitivity Level(MSL -1)
- Lead free and RoHS compliant
- 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet
- ITU K.21 Basic level compliance
- ADSL/VDSL/G.fast modem
- Industrial Ethernet
Important benefits of SP4031 Series Hybrid Protection Module
- Known-good design for overvoltage and overcurrent events provides a proven turnkey solution for protecting Ethernet PHY.
- Through package routing, low breakdown voltage and low parasitic capacitance produce a device that performs well at Ethernet speeds up to 1000 Mbits.
- During a high current event, creates a temporary high impedance which interrupts the flow of the signal lines and damage to the PHY chip.
The SP4031 Series Hybrid Protection Module is available in an SOIC-8 package in tape and reel format in quantities of 2,500. Sample requests may be placed through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide.
“The SP4031 Series Hybrid Protection Module combines some of the best products from our Electronics Business Unit with some of the best products from our Semiconductor Business Unit to create a hybrid, known-good solution for the Ethernet protection designer,” said Tim Micun, Business Development Manager, TVS Diode Arrays (SPA® Diodes) at Littelfuse. “Its’ fast response protects Ethernet and other high speed interfaces faster, which means protecting better, because long-term exposure to overvoltage or overcurrent shortens chip life.”
Click here to know more details about the product.