Silicon Labs’ Wireless Xpress modules speed prototyping of IoT applications with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Connectivity with zero programming
As the IoT expands an increasing range of products are benefiting from Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. Adding wireless connectivity to a product, however, can take significant resources and expertise. Silicon Labs has unveiled the new Wireless Xpress Bluetooth 5 and Wi-Fi modules to help designers reduce complexity and speed time-to-market through a configuration-based development experience.
Modules Make Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Connectivity Easy
Silicon Labs offers the new Wireless Xpress solution that the company says will help developers get IoT applications connected and running in a day, with no software development necessary. The solution provides a configuration-based development experience with everything developers need including certified Bluetooth 5 Low Energy (LE) and Wi-Fi modules, integrated protocol stacks and easy-to-use tools.
“Wireless Xpress greatly reduces the design learning curve without compromising sophisticated Bluetooth or Wi-Fi functionality. Developers will spend less time learning how to add wireless connectivity to their IoT devices and more time designing innovative, distinctive products and getting them to market ahead of the competition”, said Matt Johnson, Senior Vice President and General Manager of IoT products at Silicon Labs.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi IoT products based on Wireless Xpress can be remotely managed and updated over the air (OTA) using native device management features. The company offers the Zentri device management service (DMS) to help end users easily install and update firmware, view real-time device health metrics and adjust product settings through mobile apps.
To ease the complexity of adding Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity to mobile applications, Wireless Xpress includes a mobile app SDK for Android and iOS. The mobile app framework comprises examples and libraries and offers simple communications and OTA APIs to accelerate app development and simplify wireless design for mobile platforms.
Wireless Xpress takes advantage of Silicon Labs’ Gecko OS, IoT operating system to accelerate the development connected products.
Bluetooth LE Xpress Solution Highlights
- Bluetooth 5 BGX13 module requiring no firmware development
- Zero-overhead serial-to-Bluetooth cable replacement solution
- Smartphone app for Bluetooth LE command, control and sensing
- Secure connections with encrypted communication, bonding and passkey pairing
- Ideal solution for smart home products requiring Bluetooth control with a mobile app and adding a point-to-point wireless interface to industrial applications
Wi-Fi Xpress Solution Highlights
- Streamlines cloud connectivity with low-power Wi-Fi modules and software
- Supports cloud vendors including Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure
- Integrated web app enabling browser-based user interfaces
- Ideal for applications such as home appliances, wireless sensing, thermostats, IP cameras and health monitoring requiring direct Internet access and remote provisioning and updates
Pricing and Availability
Silicon Labs’ Bluetooth LE BGX13P and BGX13S modules are available today in a choice of pre-certified PCB and SiP modules, respectively, with integrated antenna options. The Wi-Fi AMW007 and AMW037 PCB modules are also available today. Module pricing begins at $4.09 USD in 10,000-unit quantities. Wireless Xpress evaluation kits are available now and priced at $40 (MSRP USD). Developers can download the Wireless Xpress SDK with code examples through Simplicity Studio. Wireless Xpress mobile apps for Android and iOS are available here.