There has been a growing trend in the industry to adopt Universal serial bus (USB) ports to provide faster communication for applications such as real-time diagnostics, programming/service ports on programmable logic controllers (PLCs), or supporting camera vision systems. USB ports require fault protection from overvoltage and ground differences while balancing the need to support high-speed data rates up to 480Mbps. However, current solutions on the market are costlier and incapable of providing fault protection at high-speed USB performance.
New ±40V High-speed USB fault protector
Maxim Integrated has developed the MAX22505 a ±40V high-speed USB fault protector that allows designers to eliminate USB port damage from all faults, including ground potential differences, up to ±40V without the tradeoffs required by competing solutions, claims the manufacturer.
It protects data and power lines from industrial equipment powered at 24VAC and 40VDC, while also said to reduce solution size by more than 50% for industrial voltage applications.
- Building automation
- Industrial PCs
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
- Diagnostic USB ports
Key features and benefits:
- The MAX22505 claims to be the industry’s only solution that combines high-speed USB fault protection (480Mbps) for industrial voltages, while being flexible enough to support either host or device applications including USB On-The-Go (OTG).
- Small size: Featuring a 24-pin 4mm x 4mm TQFN package, it reduces solution size by more than 50% compared to competing solutions and ensures robust communications in harsh environments cost-effectively in a simpler design.
- Robust communications: Protects from overvoltage, negative voltage, and ground potential differences; Integrated ±50VDC protection for VBUS/GND power lines; Integrated ±40.7VDC protection for D+/D- data lines
- High performance: Supports high (480Mbps), full (12Mbps), and low (1.5Mbps) USB operation speeds.
For more information, click here.