When smartphones are driving the digital change, there is a fast pace of innovation in this industry and customers are demanding handsets that offer outstanding features at a competitive price point.
Powerful and power-efficient chip for mid-market smartphones
Smartphone chipmaker MediaTek has announced a new powerful and power-efficient chip for the new-generation of mid-range smartphones that offer high-end features at relatively affordable prices. The new Helio P22 claims to offer the benefits of Artificial intelligence (AI) applications, dual-camera support and reliable and high-speed connectivity for mid-range smartphones.
The chip follows the successful launch of the P60 chipset. It is said to be the first to bring the 12nm manufacturing process to the mid-range mobile segment. The P60 has already seen strong customer adoption, including with Vivo and Oppo device launches in India and China, Mediatek said in the Press release.
“Our latest generation of Helio chips, such as the P60, have generated significant interest and exceeded our expectations. The continued customer demand we’re witnessing validates our focus on the growing mid-market segment and its clear consumers have an appetite for innovative devices that offer outstanding features at an affordable price point,” said TL Lee, General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communication business unit.
“With support for high-quality dual camera photography, AI enhancements and incredible power efficiency, the Helio P22 sets a new bar for accessibility to premium features. We expect continued device maker wins and consumer growth in this segment with MediaTek’s new Helio P22 chipset.”
Built with TSMC 12nm FinFET technology, the MediaTek Helio P22 should allow for power savings for exceptional battery life while offering high performance.
Key Highlights Of the Helio P22:
- The chipset is based on octa-core Arm Cortex A53 processors that operate up to 2.0 GHz and offer sustainable high CPU performance while requiring low power inputs.
- Helio P22 also supports incredible photography and fast LTE connectivity on dual 4G SIM cards.
- Other connectivity options include Wi-Fi 802.11ac for high Internet throughputs, Bluetooth 5.0 and the 4-Satellite system GNSS for faster, more efficient and more accurate connectivity locally and globally.
- The chip allows users to benefit from Edge AI enhancements leveraging MediaTek’s NeuroPilot technology. The company states that Helio P22 delivers the benefits of AI at a very affordable price. It has support for common AI frameworks (TensorFlow, TF Lite, Caffe and Caffe2) and an auto-select function for the best available AI resource for developer efficiency. The chip will also support AI accelerated camera experiences including Face ID, smart photo album and single-camera as well as dual-camera depth of field features.
- The Helio P22 supports hardware-driven dual-camera support for 13+8 megapixel setups at a fast 30 frames per second (FPS).
- The chip also offers support for a 20:9 HD+ display with a resolution of 1600 x 720 pixels.
The Helio P22 is in volume production now and is expected to be available in consumer devices by the end of Q2 2018.
Click here for Press release.