With improvements in power supply technology, the world of “brick” DC-DC converters has seen a steady size reduction. For design engineers looking to slash size, Murata has launched new IRS series converters adhering to a 1/16 standardized brick format while offering up to 50W output for industrial, industrial mobility and railway applications.
The IRS-Q48 series DC/DC converters feature a wide 4:1 input range, to support common bus voltages of 24 V, 28 V, 37.5 V, 48 V & 54 Vdc commonly found in industrial, industrial mobility and rail electronic systems
Moreover, the electrical and mechanical design provides shock & vibration tolerance that meets or exceeds EN 61373:1999 Category 1, Class B, Body Mounted requirements.
Claiming an efficiency of 91 %, the products operate cooler and more efficiently.
They are also available with an option for a standard or a flanged baseplate for various conduction cooling configurations including cold wall mounting.
Applications for the 50W IRS-Q48 series converters in the rail ecosystem include mobile communications signaling, lighting, signs, computing, motor drives, control modules, and security systems.
Other applications include 12 V, 24 V & 48 V battery systems, smart grid systems, intermediate bus, harsh environment applications in networking equipment, wireless networking equipment for mobile computing, test equipment, and other applications requiring a regulated 3.3, 5 and 12 Vdc source.
Key features include:
- Basic insulation with 2250 Vdc input-to-output isolation and a fully regulated DC output
- Includes modules with outputs of 3.3, 5 and 12 Vdc with up to 50 watts of output power
- The universal Vin range of 18 – 75 Vdc meets the requirements of EN50155 for nominal input voltages of 37.5 Vdc and 48 Vdc including brown out and transient conditions
- Tiny 1.44″ x 1.04″ x 0.50″ baseplate package
- Encapsulated mechanical design
- On/off logic control
- Output short circuit & overvoltage protection, along with, input under voltage lock out (UVLO) over temperature protection circuits
- Operating temperature range -40 to +85°C with
- Certified to UL 60950-1, 2nd Edition, EN60950-1 safety approvals