The new family of multi-channel digital isolator from Silicon Labs is specifically designed to protect industrial equipments against secondary lightning strikes and increases system reliability in a wide range of demanding industrial applications. These are ideally suited for applications such as micro-inverters, base station power supplies, process manufacturing equipment, motor controls and drives, industrial uninterruptible power supplies, metering equipment and battery management systems for electric vehicles.
According to the press release, the Si86xxxT digital isolators featuring a high-voltage isolation barrier is designed to withstand 10 kV surge hits. Apart from this it also delivers the industry’s fastest, most accurate timing specifications, highest noise immunity and reliability, lowest electromagnetic noise emissions and longest lifetimes under high-voltage conditions as mentioned in the release.
In addition, all Si86xxxT digital isolators have Schmitt trigger inputs for high noise immunity, and these highly integrated devices only require VDD bypass capacitors, reducing BOM cost and complexity. The Si86xxxT devices support data rates up to 150 Mbps with propagation delays of 10 ns, as stated in the news release.
“For many industrial and green energy applications, 10 kV isolation is a must-have requirement to protect sensitive equipment from secondary lightning strikes and power surges,” said Ross Sabolcik, vice president of access and isolation products at Silicon Labs.
As published in the release, samples and production quantities of the Si86xxxT digital isolators are globally available in a variety of compact wide-body packages and device price range starts from US$ 1.52 (two-channel) and goes up to US$ 2.93 (four-channel) in 10,000-unit quantities.
Si86xxxT Digital Isolator Family Highlights:
- Robust 10 kV surge withstand capability for secondary lightning protection
- Fastest, most accurate timing specs with low propagation delay (10 ns) and low skew (1 ns)
- Highest noise immunity (CMTI) of 100 kV/µs and lowest electromagnetic noise emissions (20 dB lower than competing digital isolators)
- Long lifetimes under high-voltage conditions (100 years at 1000 V)
- Low-power isolation solution with 1.8 mA maximum power per channel at 10 Mbps
- Flexible ordering options: multiple channels, package configurations and a selectable fail-safe operating mode to control the default output state during power loss