The newly launched high-performance low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulators from Intersil have been designed to deliver lower power dissipation in industrial, wired and wireless equipment. As claimed by Intersil, the newly launched LDO regulators can attain a maximum dropout upto 50 per cent lower than the nearest competitors.
The LDO is a DC linear voltage regulator which can regulate the output voltage even when the supply voltage is very close to the output voltage. The advantages of a LDO voltage regulator over other DC to DC regulators include the absence of switching noise (as no switching takes place), smaller device size (as neither large inductors nor transformers are needed), and greater design simplicity (usually consists of a reference, an amplifier, and a pass element).
Referring to the news release, the two new high-performance LDOs ISL80510/05, also provide better transient performance with peak-to-peak excursions up to nine times lower than competitive LDOs. The ISL80510/05’s compensation loop provides excellent noise filtering by maintaining a flat power supply rejection ratio (PSRR) response over a wide range of frequencies, as mentioned. The input operating voltage of ISL80510 is from 2.2V to 6V, and that of ISL80505 is specified from 1.8V to 6V. The output voltage of these LDOs can be adjusted from 0.8V to 5.5V, which enables designers to cover a broad range of applications such as low power RF amplifiers, medical equipment, test intruments and more.
“We increasingly see a broad range of applications that need a cost-effective, yet high performance LDO solution to address noise sensitive loads,” said Mark Downing, senior vice president of Infrastructure and Industrial Power Products at Intersil. “The pin-compatible ISL80510 and ISL80505 easily satisfy this requirement with best-in-class dropout and transient response, and programmable soft-start features at the right price point.”
According to the company, the ISL80510 and ISL80505 are globally available in thermally enhanced 8-lead, 3mm x 3mm DFN packages and is priced at US$ 0.39 each in 1ooo quantities.
Key features and specifications of ISL80510 and ISL80505 are as highlighted below:
- ISL80510 single-output LDO voltage regulator enables best-in-class dropout of 130mV at Vout of 2.5V with a 1A load current
- ISL80505 single-output LDO voltage regulator enables ultra-low dropout of 45mV at Vout of 2.5V with a 500mA load current
- Stable operation with a small 4.7μF output ceramic capacitor
- Delivers ±1.8 per cent Vout accuracy guaranteed over line, load and junction temperature range of -40°C to +125°C
- Programmable output soft-start supports sequencing and helps power supply designer control inrush current
- Current limit protection and thermal shutdown function safeguards against excessive load current or operating temperature