Protection of sensitive electronic equipments from voltage transients induced by lightning surges and other transient voltage events for use in aerospace application can now be attained using upscreened TVS diodes. When a military grade product is made obsolete, a commercial version of the same part may still be readily available in the same package. In such instances, upscreening a commercial part to military temperature grade may be an appropriate solution.
Referring to the press release, “Littelfuse has announced 6 new series of TVS diodes namely 5KP/15KPA/30KPA-HR and 5KP/15KPA/30KPA-HRA. These diodes have been specially screened and sorted for use in DC line protection for applications that demand high reliability. Apart from Industrial applications, these diodes are suited for DC power and ESD protection in avionics like airplane sensors, cockpit electronic equipment, airport landing aid systems and more.”
The release also mentions that diodes can be customised for upscreening process such as temperature cycle test, high temperature storage life and more apart from sorting processes like good traceability, labeling etc is available for both HR and HRA series.
“Not so long ago, anyone who required high reliability TVS Diodes upscreened to specific standards had to have commercial-grade components shipped to outside subcontractor labs to undergo extra sorting processes. That extra step meant a much longer wait for delivery and substantially higher component costs. Now that Littelfuse is offering upscreened products off the shelf as well as process flows that can customised to our customers’ requirements, they can get the parts they need much more quickly and economically,” said Charlie Cai, Global Product Manager/Hi-Rel and Automotive TVS Diodes.
According to the media release, 5KP/15KPA/30KPA-HR and 5KP/15KPA/30KPA-HRA series high-reliability TVS diodes are globally available in P600 packaging in minimum order quantities of 800 pieces in tape-and-reel packaging on 13-inch reels. The Littelfuse country representative or their local distributors can be contacted for more details regarding the TVS diodes.
The product features of the TVS diode are as listed below:
- Glass passivated chip junction in P600 package
- 5000W peak pulse capability at 10/1000μs waveform, repetition rate (duty cycles):0.01 per cent
- Fast response time: typically less than 1.0ps from 0 Volts to BV min
- Excellent clamping capability
- Typical failure mode is short from over-specified voltage or current
- ESD protection of data lines in accordance with IEC 61000-4-2 (IEC801-2)
- EFT protection of data lines in accordance with IEC 61000-4-4 (IEC801-4)
- Low incremental surge resistance
- Typical IR less than 2μA when VBR min>12V
- Lead-free matte tin plated package
- Halogen free and RoHS compliant