Mentor Graphics has announced the new FloTHERM XT with advanced what-if thermal analysis of product quality and faster time to market. The platform is specifically designed for thermal analysis of electronic designs which addresses two of today’s trends i.e. electronic challenges and geometric complexities.
The electronic challenges are driven by increased speed, densities, power consumption of ICs and PCBs whereas the increase in geometric complexities is due to decrease in size and increased influence of the industrial design which require handling of complex shapes. The software tool addresses the need of design engineers and thermal specialist engineers for testing components or entire electronic system in automotive, aerospace, telecommunication, computing, industrial automation and consumer electronics.
Developed to complement FloTHERM, FloTHERM XT utilises the powerful EFD solver and mesher as an enabling technology to give the broadest possible coverage of both simple and complex electronics systems. It also works with non-Cartesian geometry, supporting non-standard form factors, novel heat-sink designs and with arbitrary non-aligned or and curved geometry. It also supports angled PCBs, radial blowers and phase change materials.
Referring to the product specification, “FloTHERM XT has been developed to facilitate electronics thermal design from concept to verification, with a consistent data model throughout and the seamless ability to import data from other mechanical design automation (MDA) or EDA sources as required in a particular design process. This design lifecycle support is inherent in FloTHERM XT’s design and infrastructure-using SmartParts to build a simple concept model in minutes; work with complex mechanical parts directly from MCAD; create your own CAD geometry easily and efficiently and use detailed electronic assemblies from EDA. In designing FloTHERM XT, we have recognised that one size does not fit all and the software has a configurable user interface that can be used readily by both full-time thermal experts and by engineers for whom thermal is just one of their responsibilities.”
New key product capabilities include:
- Transient Analysis: Time-varying analyses across all industrial applications is enabled with the FloTHERM XT state-of-the-art solver and intuitive user interface (UI).
- Component and Board Manipulation: Time is saved by importing any board and component layout and easily modifying data for position, size, orientation, shape and modeling level prior to transfer to the FloTHERM XT product.
- Joule Heating: Comprehensive analysis platform predicts current density, electric potential and associated Joule heating effects in complex electronics systems, PCBs and other high-power devices – a valuable feature for automotive and power electronics applications.
- Parametric Study: A new integrated environment for defining, solving and analysing results for parametric variations of geometry, attributes (e.g. material, thermal) plus solution parameters significantly enhances the design optimization process.
- EDA Tool Connectivity: A new ODB++ interface for non-Mentor Graphics® layout tools supports Cadence, Zuken and Altium and helps users save time by providing increased user flexibility and use of existing EDA data.
- New Modeling Options: PCB copper nets and traces are represented in full 3D detail, critical for higher-fidelity solutions or high-power applications using Joule heating effects for critical devices on a board.
- Enhanced UI: Easy-to-use interface and enhanced functionality enables efficient use of the FloTHERM XT software for an improved intuitive user experience.