Looking forward to address the increased sensitivity towards electrical stresses in components due to miniaturisation, Littelfuse has recently announced the launch of new 4 channel TVS diode Array (SPA devices) which can safely absorb repetitive destructive electrostatic discharge (ESD) strikes (±20kV contact, ±30kV air) well above the maximum level specified in the IEC61000-4-2 international standard without performance degradation in order to protect electronic circuits from very fast and often damaging voltage transients such as ESD.
ESD is an electrical transient that poses a serious threat to electronic circuits. The most common cause is friction between two dissimilar materials, causing a build-up of electric charges on their surfaces. Typically, one of the surfaces is the human body, and it is not uncommon for this static charge to reach a potential as high as 15,000 volts. At 6000 static volts, an ESD event will be painful to a person. Lower voltage discharges may go unnoticed, but can still cause catastrophic damage to electronic components and circuits.
According to the press release, the SP1015 TVS diode array has a bidirectional configuration that provides symmetrical ESD protection for data lines when AC signals are present. In addition, the release mentions, “With just 0.65Ω of dynamic resistance, the SP1015 Series supports the low clamping voltage needed to protect the small-geometry integrated circuits used in modern electronic devices. Because the SP1015 Series provides four lines of ESD protection in a compact flip chip package, it is ideal for applications where conserving board space is critical, including micro-SIM interfaces, touchscreen controller lines, and general purpose I/Os on smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, and eReaders.
The company release also mentions that the SP1015 Series is globally available with their authorised distributors in a 0.93mm x 0.53mm flip chip package (0402 format) and is provided in tape & reel form in quantities of 5000.
Key benefits offered by SP1015 Series TVS Diode Arrays:
- Four lines of ESD protection in a 0.93×0.53mm footprint allows placement in close proximity to a micro-SIM (µSIM) socket, minimising both printed circuit board space requirements and costs
- Bidirectional configurations, critical for protecting capacitive touch screens up through 6-inch (15.24cm)
- ESD protection beyond the maximum rating in the IEC61000-4-2 standard and superior protection ensures greater design margin and higher end-product reliability in the field
- Very low dynamic resistance (0.65Ω) supports the low clamping voltage needed for protecting modern electronics filled with small-geometry ICs
- Nominal 5V standoff voltage permits protection of most of the current and future user interfaces