Here is a new WiGig USB adapter reference design which allows to add 802.11ad WiFi capability to smartphones through a USB connector. WiGig technology uses bands in the 60Ghz range, to allow for a lot more bandwidth, and subsequently faster download speeds of up to 8 Gbps which is fast enough to download an HD movie in just a few seconds. It’s also almost double the speed of the current top Wi-Fi standard, Wi-Fi ac, which operates in the 5GHz band.
The design from Peraso Technologies enables numerous use cases for smartphones, including rapid sideloading, 4K video streaming and mobile VR.
The new reference design utilises the firm’s W120 phased array chipset. WiGig tech allows many capabilities including multi-gigabit data rates, sub-frame video latency and low power usage.
“We’re finding smartphone vendors are embracing WiGig for a range of exciting new applications,” explains Ronald Glibbery, President and CEO of Peraso Technologies. “The W120-based reference design allows our customers to simply and rapidly get their applications to market in advance of directly embedding WiGig into their phones.”
What’s interesting about the new reference design is that it enables a series of WiGig applications ideal for smartphones, including:
- Rapid Sideloading – Using WiGig technology, an HD movie can be downloaded in under 10 seconds. This allows users to almost instantaneously download a variety of content to their device.
- Mobile VR – WiGig provides a wireless, private and secure connection between a smartphone VR headset and a remote device such as a laptop or tablet. This allows users to access significantly more content that can be stored on a smartphone, while utilizing the superior GPU horsepower of the remote system.
- Remote Content Upload – Users can upload content immediately to their social media platform, which requires rapidly transferring the content to their smartphone device. As the market transitions to 4k video, WiGig overcomes onerous and time consuming file transfers associated with traditional methods such a Bluetooth or wired USB.
- 4K Wireless Video – The high data rates and excellent power efficiency provided by 802.11ad makes WiGig an ideal technology for streaming 4K video.
- Multi-Gigabit Wi-Fi Networking – WiGig offers mobile users a fresh, uncongested wireless band for smooth, uninterrupted access to the Internet.
According to the announcement, the Peraso mobile WiGig USB solution will be available in a variety of configurations to address different smartphone connectors.
The reference design collateral package will include the software driver and application software necessary to support a complete go-to-market implementation.
“By having an 802.11ad reference module that allows for after market installation, Peraso is making many of the applications of WiGig like rapid file transfers and content pre-loading a reality for devices that may have not shipped with 802.11ad built-in,” explains Anshel Sag, Associate Analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. “Peraso is the only company in the world currently offering an 802.11ad accessory solution, and one of the few Wi-Fi Alliance certified chipsets available on the market. Peraso’s 802.11ad reference design helps to accelerate the pace of WiGig innovation while offering a Wi-Fi Alliance certified solution to virtually any OEM looking for an 802.11ad solution.”
Peraso’s WiGig chipsets and solutions will be on display at Mobile World Congress 2017 – February 27th – March 2nd.
For more information, view the full Press release.